Director of Development
Terms of Employment: Full-Time
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Report to: Executive Director
Scope and Responsibilities:
Responsible for planning and implementation of fundraising efforts and resource development programs for Mercy For Animals. Create a climate of engagement for MFA with its external constituencies that will encourage private philanthropy and corporate partnerships in support of the organization and its programs. This includes the planning, organization, coordination and implementation of fundraising programs designed to attract support from individuals, foundations and corporations to meet priority needs of MFA, including operational and programming initiatives. Develops and meets goals and objectives for these short and long range fundraising programs including, but not limited to, major gifts, individual donations, and special events.
- Prepares the department's strategic plan with short- and long-range goals to meet MFA's funding objectives, and enlists support from members of staff, Directors and the Board of Directors. Plans should encompass both short and long term goals for local, regional and national initiatives.
- Work with Executive Director and Board of Directors to prepare annual departmental goals and budget; monitor expenditures. Prepares and administers department budget, projecting and achieving goals for both revenue and expense.
- Oversee the creation and expansion of an overall strategy for growing individual major gifts from constituents nationally. Develops and implements a strategic plan for increasing private donor support, including contact with current donors, prospective donors and their legal and financial advisors.
- Develop a major giving program, aimed at identifying major donors, fostering relationships, and soliciting gifts.
- Develop a successful and ambitious online giving and membership campaign to grow and diversify the organization's membership base.
- In conjunction with the development manager, event hosts, and host committee's support, plan and execute 1-2 annual major fundraising events.
- Manages an effort to solicit and achieve revenue from corporate sponsorships, creating and communicating compelling value propositions linking MFA to prospective key businesses.
- Actively engage volunteers in donor cultivation, stewardship, and solicitation activities.
- Work with online giving strategists and analysts to evaluate the organization's fundraising program and identify and implement plans to increase its effectiveness.
- Prepare periodic analysis of the progress, effectiveness, and efficiency of various development programs, identifying problems in meeting objectives and recommending solutions.
- Maintain an effective department, specifying performance standards and providing personal leadership to assure performance goals are met.
- Oversee the maintenance of effective information management, documentation, and reporting systems, including those necessary to meet internal financial requirements.
- Manage day-to-day department activities.
The ideal candidate will have a strong commitment to the mission of MFA. He/she will be an experienced development specialist with a track record of successfully leading other development professionals and soliciting major gifts.
Additionally, the finalist will meet the following criteria:
- College degree and a minimum of 5 years professional fundraising, with a minimum of 2 years experience leading a fundraising department.
- Experience in hiring, training and supervising staff.
- Successful track record in individual and major giving, demonstrated success in major donor cultivation and solicitation.
- Ability to develop and manage budgets in excess of $2 million.
- Knowledge of financial management to allocate resources, prepare budgets, analyze financial data and project fundraising income.
- Positive attitude and ability to inspire confidence in your team and organization supporters.
- Ability to work effectively under constant pressure deadlines; requires excellent organizational skills, time management efficiency, and careful attention to detail.
- Experience with Sales Force, Raiser's Edge and/or other donor databases.
- Experience with graphic software and web sites a plus.
- Willingness to travel frequently.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to KathleenC@MercyForAnimals.org.