The legal intern will work closely with MFA’s general counsel on a variety of legal
issues relating to farmed animal protection and advocacy.
Interns will gain exposure
to many different areas of law and will have the opportunity to develop and explore
new theories of litigation in support of farmed animal protection, assist in the legal
aspects of MFA’s undercover investigations, and gain an understanding of some of
the administrative and corporate governance tasks pertaining to general non-profit
The legal intern will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Significant legal research of federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations
- Drafting legal memoranda
- Reviewing footage of undercover investigations
- Writing blog posts on recent developments in farmed-animal legal issues
- Researching standards and practices of various agricultural industries and trade
- Handling other tasks and projects as they are assigned by supervisor
- Strong legal research and writing abilities
- Highly motivated, creative, organized, and detail-oriented
- Strong work ethic
- Dedication to the mission and objectives of the organization
Interning at MFA is interesting, with varied work day to day. You will be given a level
of responsibility that requires reliability, dedication, and hard work. We are happy to
involve our interns in important projects and will consider you part of our staff. As an
intern, you will be an integral part of Mercy For Animals and your work will be very
In addition, you will learn important skills, meet like-minded people,
and be a part of the national animal protection movement, all while spreading compassion
for farmed animals!
Full-time interns receive a weekly stipend of $50 and housing will be
provided, if necessary.
HOW TO APPLY
Internships are available to second- and third-year law students both on a part-time basis
during the academic year, and full-time during the summer months. Summer internships
will be based in Los Angeles, although interns can work remotely during the academic
year from locations other than Los Angeles.
Deadlines for applications are as follows:
- July 1: Fall semester internships (part-time)
- November 1: Spring semester internships (part-time)
- February 1: Summer internships (full-time)
Before you apply, please review our list of Frequently Asked Questions.
>> Click here to fill out our legal internship application.