1. But don't you miss eating turkey?
I didn't stop eating animals because I suddenly didn’t like the taste of meat. I stopped because billions of animals suffer unimaginable cruelty at the hands of the factory farming industry. Not only that, meat is the number one cause of climate change. Oh, and it also causes heart disease, diabetes, and stroke.
2. It’s tradition to eat turkey on Thanksgiving.
Many appalling practices throughout history have been defended as “tradition,” from slavery to sister-wives. Just because something has always been done doesn’t mean we should continue to do it.
3. Are you sure there will be enough for you to eat?
There will if you don't insist on putting dead animals in every dish. Why don’t you try my vegan stuffing recipe? It’s amazing!
4. But the turkey we bought is local, organic, free-range, grass-fed, non-GMO, and they said they sang to him before he was killed.
Sadly, all turkeys, no matter how they’re raised, meet the same violent, bloody, and unnecessary death: having their throats slit. Would it make you feel better if someone were singing to you while they cut your throat open? Didn’t think so.
5. Why do you have to be difficult?
Difficult? There’s actually nothing easier than preparing delicious and festive vegan dishes for the holidays. Let me show you some awesome recipes.
6. You’re just one person, you’re not going to make a difference by not eating turkey.
Maybe not to this particular turkey who’s already been gruesomely slaughtered, but millions of vegans and vegetarians all over the world are making a difference. In fact, one person who goes vegan saves the lives of over 30 animals per year.
7. You’re going to offend Grandma if you don’t eat her mashed potatoes.
It’s not my intention to offend anyone. I was actually planning on bringing over almond milk and vegan butter to show her how to make cruelty-free mashed potatoes. I can’t wait to cook and spend time with her!
8. The world doesn’t revolve around you.
Being vegan isn’t about me. It’s about the billions of farmed animals who are needlessly tortured and killed just so we can eat them.