With everything precut, packaged, or cooked, it’s easy to forget that the meat on your plate was once a living, breathing animal.
Last week, Facebook user Timothy Reeves posted a disturbing image of a chicken heart that he found in his bucket from KFC, writing, “Uhh KFC can you explain to me why in the world I would be getting what looks like a chicken heart in my food?
A spokesperson for KFC told the Daily Mail Australia that this is not a one-time incident, explaining, “Our chicken is hand-prepared and cooked fresh, but occasionally mistakes happen and organs are not removed when they should have been.
The company is right; incidents like this happen all the time. In fact, the following five images made headlines and horrified people, but the truth is that people should be more horrified by the suffering of animals at factory farms.
1. This gentleman thought he was getting a KFC bucket of fried chicken thighs, legs, and wings but got more than he ordered—a whole chicken head!
2. This person was just going to enjoy an egg sunny side up for breakfast but found a blood spot and was reminded that chickens have blood vessels.
3. This person ordered a chicken bowl from Chipotle and was suddenly reminded that those cubes of chicken came from, well, a chicken, thanks to the foot that made its way into her meal.
4. This man was reminded that his meal indeed came from a once breathing animal when he bit into a chicken’s lung!
5. This Reddit user was appalled when she went to fry up some bacon and found a nipple attached to her breakfast meat, reminding her that her meal came from a kind and sensitive pig.
Animals at factory farms live miserable lives trapped in tiny, filthy cages and are subjected to the cruelest abuse. Don’t forget where your food came from. Make the connection. Have compassion. Go vegan.