Global Corporate Relations Specialist, Asia
Remote in Japan
Mercy For Animals aims to end industrial animal agriculture by constructing a just and sustainable food system. We envision a world where animals are respected, protected, and free
As a leading farmed animal advocacy organization, we know that achieving this goal requires a diverse, inclusive, and collaborative work environment—one that welcomes and sparks new perspectives and innovative ideas. If you are passionate about our mission, driven to make a big impact for animals, and eager to be part of a dedicated team, join us!
Mercy For Animals seeks a global corporate relations specialist to join our team. In this role, you will work with major multinational food companies headquartered in Japan and other Asian countries to eliminate cruel practices inflicted on farmed animals, such as cage confinement of laying hens, across their global supply chains.
You will do invaluable work:
- Help develop and execute effective strategies for working with the food industry to secure and implement commitments to eliminating the cruelest supply-chain practices globally
- Identify, research, and propose prospective outreach targets
- Cultivate positive working relationships with food producers, industry associations, and key executives at food companies and attend in-person meetings as needed
- Develop and maintain accurate, up-to-date, and consistent outreach materials that comply with internal legal, editorial, and messaging standards
- Track communications with companies and share updates with supervisor
- Work with other nonprofit organizations to foster solid relationships and coordination between Mercy For Animals and other corporate engagement professionals
- Support global digital and in-person corporate campaign actions in Asia
- Serve as a Mercy For Animals spokesperson at events, including industry gatherings and press conferences, as needed
- Collaborate with other departments at Mercy For Animals to advance the organization’s strategic objectives
- Adhere to all organizational policies and procedures
- Perform any other duties as assigned
Your qualifications will take the organization to the next level:
- Minimum of one year’s professional experience in campaigning, issue advocacy, corporate affairs, supply-chain management, sales, or related area, preferably at a multinational or global level
- Understanding of the food industry and key farmed animal welfare issues
- Excellent interpersonal and written and spoken communication skills
- Strong organizational, time-management, and project-management skills
- Exceptional research skills
- Global mindedness and a collaborative, culturally sensitive approach
- Self-motivation, goal orientation, and a growth mindset
- Comfort with confrontation
- Fluency in English and Japanese
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively, both domestically and internationally
- Valid passport and full vaccination against COVID-19 to meet requirements for some international travel
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Commitment to the mission and values of the organization
- Commitment and openness to continued personal and organizational growth in diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice principles
About Your Team Leader
Your team leader, Zoë (she/her), is Mercy For Animals’ senior global corporate engagement manager. Working in the animal protection movement in organizing and corporate engagement roles for six years, Zoë is passionate about advocating for farmed animals through institutional policy change and collaborating with partners around the world to drive global progress.
She values a growth mindset and strives for a healthy work-life balance. She encourages open communication, innovation, and ownership. Outside Mercy For Animals, Zoë enjoys triathlon training, game nights, and spending time with her partner and their companion animal, Adalee.
Compensation and Benefits
Earn an annual salary of ¥6,500,000, depending on qualifications, and enjoy a commute-free life as a remote team member. In addition to a collaborative and innovative work environment, you will have flexible working hours and the opportunity to create impact for animals.
We consider traditional and nontraditional qualifications and carefully review each application, resume, and cover letter. Feel encouraged to go outside a traditional cover letter and state how you would add to our culture; what we would gain from having you on our team; and how you align with our organizational vision, mission, and values.
Our Commitment to You
Mercy For Animals is a globally minded organization. We are committed to the principles of equity and justice, and our culture celebrates authenticity—enabling every team member to shine. All employment decisions are based solely on individual qualifications, job needs, and job requirements, and potential team members of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, veteran status, and ability are encouraged to apply. We strive to include candidates from historically marginalized communities and those from or in communities impacted by environmental, social, and economic injustice.
Come as you are, and help us transform our society and construct a truly compassionate food system.
The selected candidate will be hired under an employer-of-record agreement.