Senior Vice President of Programs
Senior Vice President of Programs
Los Angeles Office or Remote in the U.S.
As senior vice president of programs, you will lead the organization’s core program areas: investigations, corporate engagement, public engagement, capacity building, and government affairs and public policy. You will work closely with the president, senior leadership, and department heads to establish, oversee, and implement strategies, plans, and policies to achieve short- and long-range goals and further the mission of Mercy For Animals.
You will be a thought leader and a strategic partner to the president, liaise with donors, and serve as a spokesperson for Mercy For Animals’ programs.
You will do crucial work:
- Lead all program operations to ensure they produce effective, measurable outcomes and are consistent with the priorities, overall strategy, and mission of the organization
- Provide leadership and support to department heads in the program areas of investigations, corporate engagement, public engagement, capacity building, and government affairs and public policy
- Implement quality-control systems for program departments, establishing clear goals and expectations in partnership with department heads
- Optimize communication between all program areas to ensure projects are coordinated effectively
- Lead and motivate all program team members to foster morale, promote employee engagement, and develop high-performing teams
- Engage in long-range planning and evaluate and advise on the impact of new programs and strategies, including managing the program budget and ensuring all program areas do not exceed budgetary limits
- Analyze complex and problematic situations and determine prudent solutions to ensure the organization’s survival and growth
Your qualifications will take the organization to the next level:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, public relations, nonprofit management, communications, or a related field, or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 10 years’ related professional experience, preferably in the farmed animal protection movement
- Thorough knowledge of farmed animal welfare issues, with the ability to expertly assess and determine program strategy and accurately convey program information to internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Self-motivation, with the ability to work well independently and under pressure
- Strong leadership skills to drive inspired action and creative and technical innovation
- Organizational expertise and dexterity in managing multiple complex projects and relationships at once
- Experience managing projects in Asana (preferred)
- Willingness and ability to travel and work some evenings and weekends
Is this the right fit? Absolutely, if this sounds like you:
I’m a positive and proactive leader, with an innate ability to inspire and motivate others. A strong communicator with exceptional interpersonal skills, I am a highly effective advocate and can smoothly navigate even the most difficult conversations and situations. I thrive under pressure and deadlines, and I know how to manage time and resources effectively. I understand the nature of Mercy For Animals’ investigative work and am comfortable with the high degree of risk that comes with this type of work. I’m vegan and fiercely passionate about farmed animal protection.
Compensation and Benefits
Earn an annual salary of $85,000–$95,000, depending on qualifications. Our paid time-off policy, including 20 vacation days a year, staff-appreciation days, holidays, and sick leave, is as generous as our no- or low-cost health insurance. We also offer a 401(k) plan, not to mention a collaborative and innovative work environment.
We consider traditional and nontraditional qualifications, so be sure to clearly convey in your cover letter your general fit for the role. A few things we would love to learn about are professional experience, internships, volunteer work, and side projects, as well as your overall alignment with our organizational vision, mission, and values.
Mercy For Animals is a globally minded organization, and we value diverse perspectives and backgrounds. Potential team members of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability are encouraged to apply. We are committed to providing an inclusive, positive, respectful, safe, and supportive work environment where equal opportunities are available to all team members.