Last week Mercy For Animals Canada exposed the horrors that took place on Canada’s largest dairy farm. Millions of viewers learned about the dairy industry’s dark side as our undercover investigation made international headline news.
The media maelstrom started with an exclusive feature on CTV National News, and then close to 400 other media outlets picked up the story!
From local to national and international media, including television, radio, and print, here is a roundup of just some of that coverage:
- “B.C. dairy farm animal abuse” – Global News
- “Chilliwack Cattle Sales owners previously investigated …” – CBC News
- “Dairy Farmers of Canada chief ‘disgusted’ by video showing cows beaten with chains, rakes” – Toronto Star
- “Horrific’ abuse of cows at B.C. dairy farm caught on video” – CTV National
- “Abuse of cattle at B.C. dairy farm prompts industry ‘disgust,’ calls for reform” – The Globe and Mail
- “Canada’s Largest Dairy Farm Employees Accused Of Animal Cruelty (GRAPHIC VIDEO)” – The Huffington Post Canada
- “Cruelty charges recommended against Chilliwack dairy farm workers” – The Vancouver Sun
- “Saputo éclaboussé pour une affaire de vaches maltraitées” – Le Journal De Montreal
- “Undercover investigation reveals horrific animal cruelty at B.C. dairy farm” – Ottawa Citizen
- “Undercover investigation reveals horrific animal cruelty at B.C. dairy farm” – The Montreal Gazette
- “Dairy industry ‘disgusted’ by abuse at B.C. farm” – Metro News
- “CB: «horreur» d’un propriétaire de ferme laitière” – Journal Métro de Montréal
- “Saputo Inc refuses to buy milk from B.C. farm where video showed cattle being beaten with pipes” – Financial Post
- “Animal welfare watchdogs go undercover” – Maclean’s
Radio Interviews included News957, AM 1150, CJAD, News 1130 Radio, 570News, News Talk 610 CKTB, 680News, News Talk 650 CKOM, News Talk 980, 1031 Virgin Radio Winnipeg, and Continuous Country 101.1Fm The Farm.
At this randomly selected dairy factory farm, our undercover investigator documented:
- Workers viciously kicking, punching, and beating cows, and hitting cows in the face and body with chains, canes, metal pipes, and rakes
- Sick and injured cows suffering from open wounds, oozing infections, and painful injuries left to suffer without proper veterinary care
- Workers using chains and tractors to lift sick and injured cows by their necks
- Workers poking and squeezing festering wounds, ripping clumps of hair out of cows’ sensitive tails, and punching bulls in the testicles
Eight workers now face criminal cruelty to animals charges, and the company itself is under investigation for its role in the abuse.
As MFA Canada works to expose and end cruelty to animals at the hands of the meat, egg, and dairy industries, consumers still hold the greatest power of all to prevent the needless suffering of farmed animals by adopting a healthy and humane vegetarian diet. Visit ChooseVeg.ca to download free recipes and tips for making the transition to a vegetarian lifestyle.
After viewing the shocking footage of cows being viciously kicked, punched, and beaten, over 100,000 people signed our petition! Add your name, learn more, and donate today at www.mercyforanimals.ca/dairy.